HERB - Arsenic question

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Tue May 12 13:21:30 PDT 1998

> Greetings,
> A friend of mine just got back some test results that indicate a high
> level of arsenic in the spinal fliud. She is retired from a desk job in
> an administrative office. Does anyone know of any common herbs, foods,
> anything that would contain traces of arsenic? We are both baffled about
> what the source could be.
>
> TIA,
> Sara
Arsenic is a common ingredient in rat poisons.  I grew up in an older (OK,
Victorian) house in the east, and I learned from the time I was small that
anything green "had arsenic in it."  (Green was the color of the original
rat-pellets).  I have seen it is some insect-pesticides, as well.  (The ant
stakes you put in the ground, I believe)  Since you say she is _retired_
from a desk job, could she have worked in an old building that, like my
home, still had traces of old rat-poison?  I really can't think of any
other source -- maybe someone else will know more.
At any rate, I wish your friend the best.
Katherine