HERB - ephedra

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 12 20:12:37 PDT 1998

>Being new to the whole world of herbalism I have to admit my ignorance
about your statement above. Just what do you mean by balancing chemicals?
What is the difference between consuming the plant as a whole compared
with consuming extracts? Thanks.
>Genevieve de Courtanvaux

The theory is, and I tend to go along with it, is that science can
isolate an 'active ingredient', say the hypericum in St. John's Wort, and
determine that this element is the cause of the plants effectiveness.
Then, an extract of the plant is made.  By removing the active ingredient
of the plant, you may be overlooking other characteristics of the plant
that work together with the active ingredients, creating a synergistic
relationship that causes the whole to work better than the individual
parts.  In some cases (using the St. John's Wort again as an example)
herb companies will package a product that contains both the whole plant
and additional extract of the active ingredient, or just sell the plant
as a whole, say ground in a capsule.  (The Whole Food Theory).   There is
also a line of vitamins (Eden's Source, Source of Eden, Eden Fruits,
something like that) that contain whole food ingredients as well as
vitamins and minerals.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies