HERB - chamomile

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Wed May 13 21:28:34 PDT 1998

>OK, now can you tell me which of the above is "German" chamomile and which
>is "Roman" chamomile...and which it is we make tea from??  I can never
>remember this straight!!!!

I *just* read this in "Herbs of Choice" by Varro Tyler:

"For example, so-called true chamomile flowers were once said to be derived
from Matricaria chamomilla L. pro parte or from Chamomilla recutita L
(Rauschert). More recently, Matricaria recutita L. has become the preferred
designation. All of these Latin names refer to the identical plant. The
herb is also referred to by a wide variety of common names, including
Matricaria (once the official National Formulary title), true chamomile,
German chamomile, Hungarian chamomile, and wild chamomile, among others. To
make matters worse, even the name of the plant family to which this herb
belongs has been changed from Compositae to Asteraceae."

FWIW,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net