HERB - Chinese Herbals (was - Menstrual Cramps

Kathleen H. Keeler kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu
Sat May 16 12:48:01 PDT 1998

Lady Jasmine wrote
> Actually, I was sort of hoping someone had read some of the
> period Chinese herbals, but thanks!
I am a bit embarrassed to speak about herbals without looking for myself.
I don't have any references on China between 600-1600 (and my husband is
purely modern, has no interest).  But his Chinese Medicine herbals talk
very technically about ginseng, its uses and counterindications.
>. I wish there were
> some publications today in English detailing the Chinese research.
These are in English, tho they assume you can understand the Chinese
Medical system
"263. Rx. Ginseng (Ginseng Root)
Tonifies Original Qi & Lungs, Strengthens Spleen & tonifies Stomach;
Benefits Yin & Heart Qi, generates Fluids and calms Spirit; 3 fen - 3
qian/Upto 1 liang for hemorrahagic shock"
Mark and Marissa Saltzman, Chinese Herbal Medicine, Materia Medica Study
Guide. Published by Mark S.Saltzman 1992, no ISBN
THis is a little paperback; my husband recommends looking for it at
Amason.com first, Redwing Books (I don't know their address) second.  He
said its the text the Chinese Medicine Schools in the US use.

Also, the real thing is Chinese Herbal Medicine, Materia Medica. Dan Bensky
and Andrew Gamble (translators, compilers). 1986. Eastland Press, Seattle.
ISBN 0-939616-03-3
This is 700 pages hardbound and as a technical medical book won't be cheap.
But its in English and gives pharmaceutical name, botanical name, Mandarin,
Japenese, Korean,& English names, properties, channels entered, text in
which it first appeared
[for ginseng, the Divine husbandman's classic of the materia medica, which
is at least 400 AD if not earlier--this would let you build a Period
Chinese herbal], Functions and clinical uses, Major combinations, Remarks,
Cautions and counterindications, Dosage, Major known ingredients,
Pharmacological and clinical research
        -is that part of what you are looking for?
Metabolic effects, Endochrine effects.
  --hence the 700 pages; there are 4 on ginseng, which is not a
particularly important herb

Agnes
Mistress Agnes deLanvallei, O.L., Mag Mor, Calontir
Dedicated to the study and safe re-creation of the uses of plants in the
Middle Ages.
If I can assist anyone's investigations, I'd be honored to do so.

kkeeler1 at unl.edu