HERB - chamomile

Katherine Blackthorne kblkthrn at midtown.net
Fri May 22 09:52:27 PDT 1998

> I still have a lot of chamomile tea from Germany, and when I run short of
> favorite teas from Germany, one of the travelers in the family resupplies
> me.  Is that tea really going to be different, or have different effects,
> than the chamomile tea I'd buy in a store in the USA?  To the inexpert,
> they seem the same.
> Regards,
>
> Allison

My mother (who wore combat boots) was stationed in Germany for most of the
80's.  She sent back -- among various other things -- good supplies of
mint, fennel, & chamomile teas.  These proved indistinguishable from the
American stock as far as their effects and taste were concerned.

She ALSO brought back a personal stock of some of the German medicinal
teas....apparently, in Germany, the doctors still prescribe herbal remedies
as a first course of action.  Particularly, she had what I called her
"nervous tea" -- essentially a sedative that helped a very troubled young
teen who was dealing with panic attacks and Post Traumatic Stress control
the worst of it, and her "cough tea", which worked far better than any
commercial chemical remedy I have ever tried.  Real "miracle drugs" made
from combinations of plants I was familiar with, no extra chemicals added.
These teas included the "prescription" on the labeling -- how much of what
herb.  We've both lost the original receipts (Mom could probably find
it...in a month or two...), but I've used both of them as a starting place
for my own similar remedies.
I would give so much to be able to explore some of the other medicinal teas
available there....<dreamy sigh>
Katherine Blackthorne
Province of Golden Rivers
Principality of Cynagua