HERB - herb crafting

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Nov 3 21:32:32 PST 1998

First, everyone who's responded, thanks for the ideas!

Jasmine,

The Scottish dame's water is from a late 16th century book, DELIGHTES FOR
LADIES.  I took dried lavender, rosemary and thyme, and mixed them together in
about equal parts.  Then I put about an inch at a time in a crock, covering
each layer with clear brandy til the crock was filled.  I sealed the crocks
and put them in a cool place for about 6 weeks.  I didn't have cheese cloth,
so I used unbleached coffee filters to filter the liquid, then used a funnel
to fill small bottles.

The original called for "thick wine lees", but brandy was used in the Hungary
water recipe Clare posted a while back, so it made a good substitute.  The
original also called for the crock to be buried for 6 weeks, but this isn't
Scotland, the soil temps are pretty warm, so this made more sense.  It wasn't
hard, though the filtering and bottling was messy and time consuming.  But the
smell was wonderful.  I used clear brandy so I could see any change, and it's
now a beautiful reddish brown.  This is supposed to be used by pouring a
little into water and using it to wash, it would probably make a good
"splash".

Once I find a source for crepe myrtle, I'd like to try Hungary water too.

Wow, you've got a lot of projects going!  I'd love to hear about the salt
substitute, the sore muscle balm, and the sweater bags.  I've been working on
my own version of moth bags, but it's pretty simple.

Grania,

Thanks for the recipe for dusting powder, that's one I definitely want to try!
Aside from other reasons, I have at least one friend who's can't use talc-
based powders, and she'd love this.

Raisya