HERB - RECIPE: Juniper Berries in Oil

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Nov 9 06:07:31 PST 1998

Karla wrote:

>Just a note here...  it's probably not a good idea to use canola oil if
>you're making quite a lot, it can go rancid after a period of time.

I've used the canola oil in quantity and have yet to have it go rancid.
the batch listed in the recipe is really quite large when you think
about its intended purpose. I've successfully tripled this recipe when
using it as a general muscle massage rub, with no rancidity after
9 months.

For those of you who wish to be doubly sure that the rancidity is not
a factor, try opening 1-2 vitamin E capsules into the oil before you
bottle it. Vitamin E will act as a natural preservative and reduce
the need for refrigeration. Refrigeration is, of course, another option,
but considering the recipe's original use, I'm sure you understand why
I didn't suggest it.

>I would personally recommend grapeseed oil (which you can buy at
>aromatherapy shops and sometimes health stores).

I would suggest people open the container of grapseed oil (if they
can in the store) and smell it. The scent of the oil that I've
smelled is very strong indeed and not something I wanted to be
walking around smelling like in combination with juniper. The two
together smelled horrendous to me.

The best suggest and one that I've tried is sweet almond oil, though
I've had that go rancid on me after a short period of time. Again,
with any oil, the addition of a few vitamin E capusule innards can
mean the difference between a nice rub and a smelly mess.

>It might be worth looking into whether or not you can buy juniper essential
>oil, as well...

That defeats the purpose of the project, now, doesn't it? :)
(And I couldn't find the essential oil at any of my stores,
but I could find the berries growing in must about any yard
in town.)

I do appreciate your suggestions. Thank you for them.

Jasmine