HERB - RECIPE: Jasmine's Herbal Sniffy Bags (long)

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Nov 9 06:19:14 PST 1998

>Thanx, Jasmine.  I will get some from my herbalist and give them a try.

Don't thank me, thank Galla! I will however, share a note that I
sent to someone else privately about my sources. As so many people
have asked about them, I don't feel bad posting this publicly (some
lists I belong to have a problem with public posting of supplier
information; if this one does too, someone whack me on the nose).
If anyone needs phone numbers because they don't have web access,
let me know and I'll send them to you.
-- Jasmine, jasmine at infoengine.com

PS: If you have a good source, one that has better prices and
shipping than any of these, I'm really interested in hearing
about it. Better still, if you're a supplier, I'm really interested.

***
(11/5/98)

For buying the muslin bags and those nifty heat-sealable tea bags
(you can seal them with an iron) by far the best company for both price
and shipping price is The San Fancisco Herb Company. I've done an
extensive survey of companies and if you can afford to buy their
minimum (a mere $30) these prices are better than you'll even get
at your local health food store. Their website is located at
www.sfherb.com, but if you're ordering from east of the Mississippi,
it's sometimes cheaper on shipping to order from the east coast
branch which is called the Atlantic Spice Company (www.atlanticspice.com).
[SFHerb and AtlanticSpice both have a $30 minimum, I think, but I
easily make that minimum every time I order, so I no longer think
about it.]

I know it sounds weird to order these things from spice companies,
but I still firmly believe that their prices are better given
the minimum order size. Most minimum orders are at least $50 and
those places without minimums, I've found, charge on the average
about 20 cents more (american) per *bag*. [Local stores in your
area may have cheaper prices, but my experience says that they
won't.]

Now, I *just* ordered bottles from a news company and I couldn't be
more pleased. SKS bottle and packaging is the name of the company.
Their website is located at www.sks-bottle.com. Their sales people
were VERY nice to me. Especially when I explained to them that I
was just some schmoe that wanted to make Christmas presents. Their
minimum is $50, which is high, but I had a large order to make and
easily made the minimum. Their prices are at least 10 cents and often
50 cents cheaper than most competitors. But the big bonus is that
they're located in New York, so for me, their shipping is much
cheaper than the other company I order from. By the way, their
website really stinks. Just do yourself a favor and request a
catalog. Don't judge the company by their poor website design.

The other packaging company I order from is Sunburst Bottle. They
are located in California, so their shipping prices are much
higher because they often have to ship freight. If you can't make
the minimum for SKS bottle, you might try an order from them. Their
service was just as good, thought their prices were a bit higher
(quite a bit in some respects). The big advantage to ordering from
Sunburst Bottle is that you can order by the piece, rather than
buy the case. This may be helpful to some people who don't want
24 or 48 of any particular item. Their website is located at
www.sunburstbottle.com if you want to look them up. They have their
catalog online for you to look through, but their print catalog
is nice to have too.