HERB - Witch hazel

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Tue Nov 10 09:42:17 PST 1998

At 09:40 AM 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>If you can find witch hazel leaves, you may try substituting them
>for the liquid witch hazel. I've not done this myself, but I'm
>told the results are quite pleasant. My favorite witch hazel in
>liquid form is the kind that doesn't smell like witch hazel, is
>not dyed yellow or green, and contains a small amount of aloe
>vera.

For one of my products I make and sell, I use witch hazel tincture.  I
include my rather haphard recipe with the caveat that it is *very
astringent* and should be diluted before using with water or aloe.  Test a
patch on the inside of your elbow before using it on your face.  It has a
great smell and works wonderfully.

In a clean glass jar, pour witch hazel bark (available from Frontier Herbs)
until about half full.  Cover with vodka or rum (the cheap stuff in the
plastic bottles is fine).  Put plastic wrap over the top, screw the lid on.
 Shake well.  Set in a dark area, shake occationally.  Allow to steep for
at least 2 weeks.  Strain through cheesecloth into another clean jar.  Cap
tightly and store in the dark.

>Of the various batches of this that I have made, I've been most
>pleased with the one that I made for my sainted mother-in-law,
>which used lavender in place of the chamomile (this was right
>around the time I discovered my developing allergy to raw, dried
>chamomile).

I use a Moldex dust mask when I work with or harvest the stuff.  I love it,
but it is starting to get to me.  Pooh, I hate my alergies.  I am going to
try nettles tea next time I work with it to see if it will keep me from
sneezing my head off.