HERB - herbal gifts

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu Nov 12 13:33:14 PST 1998

Caro wrote:

>For those of us HIGHLY allergic to alcohol, what is a decent alternative?
>-Caro (one of the main reasons I'm not as into herbs as I wanna be...)

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish. In cooking, the
alcohol is easily replaced by other items. In herbal forumulas,
sometimes the alcohol is one of the best ways to store an item,
but there are really other ways to treat yourself. For something
like the spray bottle idea suggested by Henri when he wrote:

>I really like the scent of myrrh and frankincense, so I put a few
>drops of each essential oil of into a 4 oz brown glass spray bottle
>then add about 1/4 of the bottle of everclear alcohol and top off
>the bottle with spring water and shake. Makes a nice spritzer for
>after the bath/shower

The alcohol is designed, I believe to do two things. First, it
cools the skin after a shower, thus the refreshing feeling. Second,
it helps the oil mix with the water rather than stay in suspension,
float, or separate.

Rather than using the oils, you could try using the raw plant
material, steeping it for a long time (a strong tea or decoction)
in spring water, filtered water, or distilled water and
storing it in a dark bottle in the fridge.

When it's time to take a shower, grab the bottle and set it
nearby for when you climb out. By that time, it should be past
its frigid cold temp and onto cool, keeping you cool when you
spritz as you get out without making you goosebumply. :) Just
return the bottle to the fridge when you're done (and make sure to
label it well so the family doesn't drink it by mistake!).

Just an idea. One that I use, anyway. :)

Jasmine
Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm, g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim