HERB - Re: osage orange (off topic)

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Mon Nov 16 23:15:27 PST 1998

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:16:40 -0600 khkeeler <kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu>
writes:
>off topic: I'm looking for information on what if any native animals
>ate osage orange fruits.  A colleage told me squirrels did eat >them.
Anyone know of  a reference quotable in print?

>Kathy Keeler
>aka Agnes
>kkeeler1 at unl.edu

Here's the quote:

OSAGE-ORANGE  _Maclura pomifera_

"The osage-orange, a thorny tree of rich bottom lands in the Osage Indian
country, was widely used as a hedge plant.  Hedge-apple is another common
name for it.  There is very little to qualify the osage-orange as a
wildlife food p[lant, though it does have usefulness for cover.
Squirrels and bobwhite feed on the seeds occasionally."

Source:

_American Wildlife & Plants:  A Guide to Wildlife Food Habits_  The use
of trees, shrubs, weeds and herbs by the birds and mammals of the United
States.  by Alexander C. Martin, Herbert S. Zim and Arnold L. Nelson.
Dover publications, Inc.  New York.  1961.

Prepared under the direction of the US Fish & Wildlife Service, Dept of
Interior.  First published in 1951 by McGraw-Hill.

Part I:  Introductory Chapters
Part II:  Animals & Their Food
Part III: Plants Useful to Wildlife

Being a Dover book, and timeless in it's usefulness, this may well still
be available.  Most of the wildlife biologists and natural resource
managers I know have copies of this book.  It's great!

Bert Comstock
aka Hertha
Biologist/Water Resources Planner, USArmy Corps of Engrs., RET.

PS - Osage-Orange is in the mulberry family and is an excellent dye
plant!