HERB - soap with stuff in it

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Fri Nov 20 09:41:20 PST 1998

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Gaylin Walli wrote:
> Awfully descriptive subject, I know. I've been looking into
> and researching soap making during our periods and I was
> wondering if anyone can point me to information on herbs or grains
> that might have been included in soap. I know a lot about
> how I make it now and in the colonial times, even in the 1700's,
> but I can't seem to find any primary or even secondary evidence
> of soap additions that are period. Does anyone have primary or
> secondary record of them? Am I just not looking in the right places?

I think there are two recipes in _Jeanne Rose's Herbal_ that are reprints
of early & mid seventeenth century sources. When I get home tonight, I'll
look them up and email the recipes. (I believe both involved dissolving
the castile soap in rosewater and combining it with the spices. One of
them may have been from Digby, and was called, I think, "Ipswich Balls"?)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"Healing the universe is an inside job."