HERB - Soap recipie and info - long

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Fri Nov 20 23:27:56 PST 1998

> From: Philippa Alderton <phlip at bright.net>
> I don't know ANYTHING about soap making, but I'd love to learn.

_Back to Basics_, by Reader's Digest  (a wonderful "how to" book,) has some
soap recipies.  It states that "According to Roman legend, soap was
discovered after a heavy rain fell on the slopes of Mount Sapo (the name
means "Mount Soap" in Latin).  The hill was the site of an important
sacrificial altar, and the rainwater mixed with the mingled ashes and
animal fat around the altar's base.  As a result..., the three key
components of soap were brought together:  water, fat, and lye (postash
leached from the ashes)."

Although, by definition, every soap is made by the saponification (chimecal
combination) of lye, water, and fat, one soap will differ from the next
depending on the kind of fat, the kind of lye, and how much of each is
used.  Traditionally, soapmaking for the year was done in Autumn, when the
annual butchering of animals took place and fat was available.  Lye was
produced by filling a hkopper with hardwood ashes, and running water
through the ashes.  Once this was done, the water was sent through again,
until it would float an egg.  If the egg sank to the bottom, it was too
weak.  If it floated at the top, it was too strong.  If it floated in
suspension, in the middle, it was just right.

Ingredients for soap are
fat - any kind of pure animal or vegetable fat, from reclaimed kitchen
grease to castor oil; tallow, lard, olive oil, crisco vegetable shortning,
etc.
lye - Available in many supermarkets or hardware stores in dry crystal -
sodium hydroxide.  My personal choice is Red Devil Lye, found in the drain
cleaner sections.
water - soft.  Clean rainwater is nice.  Add some borax if in a hard water
area.

Recipie for single bar experimentation

1/2 cup cold soft water
2 heaping tbsp. commercial lye
1 cup melted beef tallow

Slowly add the lye to the water, then bring both lye solution and tallow to
about body temperature.  Do not touch the lye water - it will burn.
Combine lye water and tallow in a glass bowl and mix slowly and steadily
with an egg beater (I use a fork- less chance of splash) until the
consistency is that of sour cream.  Pour mixture into mold and age
according to standard procedure - i.e. remove soap from mold after 24
hours, leave in the open for 2-3 weeks, turning over daily.

A standard batch recipe calls for on 13 oz can of commerical lye, 2 1/2
pints of water, and 6 pounds of fat.  about 9 punds of soap result, enought
to make 36 bars of toilet soap.

Adding the lye to the water will generate temperatures in excess of 200 F,
so plan on enough time for it to cool.

If adding a scent, don't add the oil until just before molding.  Or make an
infusion, strain, and use that instead of plain water.  Don't use alchohal
based scents - it can interfere with saponification.    Use the single bar
recipie and experiment with different fats, scents, and additives.  I
haven't bought commercial soap in years - I'd rather make my own!!

Have fun, and if anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them to
my best ability.

Melandra of the Woods