HERB - Jasmine's one bar soap recipes

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Nov 24 09:12:14 PST 1998

Chris wrote:

>Where did you get your oils for making these. Some do not seem to be off the
>shelf shopping mart types.

Sure they are, with the exception of pure tallow. Tallow is just rendered
beef fat and most meat markets will give you this fat for free or very
cheaply. Lard is simply rendered pork fat and is available in rendered
form in every grocery store I've ever been in.

Canola, olive, safflower/sunflower, and peanut oil are also available
in every grocery store I've ever been in. I did mention in a previous
note that a few were obtained in my local health food store. These were
the coconut and palm oils I use. Coconut is usually available in health
food or middle eastern and asian grocery stores. Palm oil is obtained
in my local health food store.

As for sodium hydroxide, try you local small town supermarket and
look for a can in the drain cleaner aisle that says "Red Devil Lye"
on it. You don't want regular drain cleaner, just straight lye (things
like Draino have other stuff in them). If you can't find this in
your local grocery store, try you local small town *hardware* or
plumbing supply store. Again, look for Red Devil. Barring that, I've
been told that many chemical supply stores exist in larger cites.
I've never really looked into buying from them, however, as I don't
really need 50# bags of lye. :)

Jasmine