HERB - Soap-superfatting to avoid soda ash

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 24 23:56:20 PST 1998

The recipe I used for soap comes from "The Soap Book" by Sandy Maine,
Interweave Press.
I added a little more fat, in the form of a small jar of cocoa-butter,
the juice of a medium sized Aloe leaf, and a couple of vitamin E
pills. Actually, I'm not sure the last two are fats, but they seemed
like a good idea, so I added them.
The recipe in the book calls for:
24 ounces olive oil
24 ounces cocoanut oil
38 ounces of Crisco
12 oz. sodium hydroxide (lye)
32 ounces rain, spring, distilled or tap water (I use distilled)
4 oz. essential oil (I combined cinnamon and cloves)
This was my first time making soap. It seemed to take about a week to
really set up. Part of it mushed up as I removed it from the tray, so
I just squished it into balls and let it dry that way. I tried it
after another week, and it was still fairly strong and irritating to
my hands.  However, after about a month of curing, it turned into the
best soap I ever used. It lathers great, does not melt in the soap
dish, and leaves my skin soft as a baby's. Nothing like "grandma's lye
soap".
Edwinna