HERB - Austin's herb festival

clu729s clu729s at mail.smsu.edu
Tue Oct 6 07:25:29 PDT 1998

>Now for my questions: does anyone have advice on growing the bay? It'll
>be in a container, and will possibly spend some time inside, where it
>may be nibbled by cats. (Unless it's toxic to them or they don't like
>it. Hopefully they won't like it.) How does one propagate it? Has anyone
>ever tried?

Well Mary, I have always just kept mine like my Ficus trees.  I usually keep
outdoors in plenty of sun during the summer and in a spot next to the windows
(with plastic to avoid drafts) in the winter.  They really are not hard to
keep.  If you wish to propagate them, I have had some luck cutting a branch
off (usually in the spring during the faster growth period) and then dipping
in some rooting hormone, then allowing to be planted within the soil.  They
take fairly easy, and have had no problems.  Water them well after planting,
but do not allow water to sit around the roots ever.  More than not will cause
root rot damage.  I unfortunately had to leave my best bay tree behind in
hawaii, but look forward to getting another next spring.  They are delightful
plants, fairly easy to keep, and make wonderful additions to almost any
recipie.  Very wonderful for the flavoring of winter soups. Best of luck to
you.

Ldy Galla
The Shire of Oakhearts' herbalist