HERB - "Hortulus" - "Betony"

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 22:21:30 PDT 1998

Ooops, I just realized that I missed Wednesday's installment. - Raisya

"XXI.  Betony

	In the mountains and woods, in the meadows and depths of the valleys -
Almost everywhere, far and wide, grows the precious abundance
Of betony.  Yet I have it too in my garden, and there
It learns a softer way of life in the tended soil.
So great is the honor this genus has won for its name
That if my Muse wished to add to it she would find herself
Defeated at last, overwhelmed; and soon she would see
She could add nothing more to the value it has already.
	Perhaps you pick it to use it green, perhaps
To dry and store away for the sluggish winter.
Do you like to drink it from cloudy goblets?  Or do you
Prefer to enjoy what it gives after long and careful
Refining?  Whatever your fancy, the wonderful powers
Which this herb has will supply all your needs.
Indeed some men I know rate it so highly
That, hoping to find protection from every harm
Which assaults the inner body, day after day
They drink a dose of this harsh but soothing tonic.
	Again, if your head is cut and the wound turns septic,
Crush some sacred betony, make of it dressings
And apply them frequently:  you will be amazed
How quickly its powerful influence closes the wound."