HERB - horehound

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Fri Oct 9 14:25:01 PDT 1998

At 02:57 PM 10/9/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Okay here's my dilemma and an idea...
>The syrup part is already made, obviously, so now I've
>got a dilemma of exactly how to incorporate the
>horehound. Anyone think this is possible? I suppose I
>can always just try it somehow, but I was wondering
>if anyone else had some ideas.

As I understand horehound needs to be heated to release it's good juju.

I make an herbal cough syrup that I sell through Fox Ryde Gardens, my
herbal business.  I use horehound, thyme, mullien, and some other bits and
pieces.  I fill the pot with herbs, cover with water, and let it simmer for
about 30 - 40 min.  It smells vile.  I then strain out the herbs and add
about equal parts of sugar and honey.  I then boil it until it is the
desired thickness.  I have tried making the syrup and infusing the herbs.
It didn't seem to be as bitter - but it didn't seem to work as well as the
majorly boiled syrup.

>I figured about 1/2 ounce in 1/2 pint of liquid would
>be about right. But would it be better to make the infusion
>and add that to the syrup or make the infusion with the
>syrup already made and then strain out the particulate?

I would suggest making the simmered tea, strain the herbs, add the grape
jelly and boil down to desired thickness.

I always add mint and thyme to blunt the bitterness.

I put about a teaspoon in a mug of hot water and float a dollop of butter
on the top for my winter colds.  It really knocks colds out of your lungs.

>And what about candies? Like those little candied horehound
>cough drops? I've never made those after the syrup's already
>been made and I suspect the grapes may get in the way, but

I have made the candies.  We called them "Cough Shingles"  I lack the
patience to make them for customers.  When I was trying the recipe out, I
would patiently wait and watch carefully.  Then like 10 degrees from where
it needed to be (Hard Crack), the syrup temperature would stop.  And stay
there for an eon.  Like any small business person, I always have too much
to do, so I would get busy with another project.  And my candy would catch
on fire.  *Really really really vile smell*  Twice.  I tried it twice and
torched it both times.  Our housemate, sick of the retched odors came it
and made the one sucessful batch.

I like the hot toddy better, but the cough shingles work well when you are
out and about.

>it's an idea....

let us know how it works!

Baroness Leonora