HERB - Re: Hands On Classes

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Thu Oct 15 17:14:12 PDT 1998

At 10:56 AM 10/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> How about cleaning and preparation of herbal compounds such as decoction,
>> pulverization, making tinctures etc.  There is always enough theory, not
>> enough hands on in any topic.
>> Grania
>
>Long ago I tried a "what do we do with all this mint"--a hands-on class
>of making tea, alcohol extracts, salves etc.--where part of the point
>was what was involved in working with herbs.  It was a beginner class,
>and I had a remarkably hard time getting people to do anything beyond
>sit and listen. Have people done hands-on more successfully?
>
>(Don't do it where they don't like leaf-bits on the floor, by the way.)
>
>Agnes

Sounds like a great class, good Mistress!

I have a class on "the Healing Use of Culinary Herbs" that comes in 3
parts.  First part is a lecture where I talk about the herbs and pass bits
around for people to sniff.  People are willing to sniff and taste the
fresh herbs.  The second part we blend an herb tea using some of the bits
of herb that was passed around.  Again, all they have to do is sniff the
tea to get a sense of the blend.  The third part, we propogate herbs
(again) using some of the bits that were passed around.  This is where I
loose people.  I always have extra pots and bits left.  It seems that one
or two of the antendees go nuts and pot up everything in sight, and
everybody else chugs their tea and splits.  It may have something to do
with dirty hands.  I have taught this class to 4 people and to 35.  It is
much easier and the participation is much higher in the smaller class sizes.

My wise old Pappy sez that education is the only thing that Americans are
willing to pay for and not get.

 -- Leonora