HERB - Re: Hands On Classes

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Mon Oct 19 06:39:53 PDT 1998

Katerine Rowley asked:
>Oh, please tell more about this! What's the ratio? Is there anything one
>shouldn't clean with this? And, most importantly (to me at least), how
>hard is it on skin? Having a tendency to dry skin, and living in a dry
>climate, I'm desperate to find something that doesn't tear up my hands!

There's a very good book out that I bought a long time ago that I've
been using to help me with housecleaning. I'm allergic to almost
every household cleanser you can buy in a standard grocery store.

"Clean and Green: The Complete Guide to Non-Toxic and Environmentally
Safe Housekeeping" by Annie Berthold-Bond. ISBN is 1886101019 for the
updated edition and Amazon.com has it on sale right now for $7.16. :)

>(No, cleaning gloves don't work fo me.)

Have you tried hospital gloves, putting a teeny bit of glycerin or
corn husker's lotion on  your hands before you put the gloves on?
The powder-filled kind of gloves don't work all that well, but
the regular cheapie kinds usually work for me.

And just to drag this completely back on track and back into a
somewhat period discussion, do people have recipes that are
medieval and period for cleaning? Le Menagier has a few, as does
Baptista, but are there others that people have been using with
success? I've got to dig around in my notes and see which ones
I use and which ones I've decided I don't like. :)

Jasmine