HERB - Does This Exist???

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Mon Oct 19 21:48:15 PDT 1998

Hello!  I've been reading a historical fiction novel, one that is based
on as mech historical fact as she could research, and a book is mentioned
that I'd love to get my mitts on.  Garcia de Orta is said to have written
a book on Oriental drugs and simples, with a froward by Luis vas de
Camoes (who wrote Os Lusiados, FWIW).  De Orta was a Portuguese herbalist
who lived the last 30 years of his life in India, traveling in the
Deccan.  He was well-regarded in Goa, where he worked on the Jesuit
Misericordia, which was regarded as one of the finest hospitals of its
time.  Has anyone heard of such a book??  I have no title (yeah, lots of
other info), but if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would
be most helpful.  Thanks in advance!

-Caro