HERB - Does This Exist???

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Oct 20 08:02:42 PDT 1998

>Garcia de Orta is said to have written
>a book on Oriental drugs and simples, with a froward by Luis vas de
>Camoes (who wrote Os Lusiados, FWIW).

Have you tried the Library of Congress? There are several listings
when searching on Orta, Garcia de (yes, it's searching wrong). Most
are not in English. I've included the information I found on a quick
search of their website (http://lcweb.loc.gov/catalog/browse/prem.html)
area for pre 1898 books. There was no information available on
Wajdi's suggested exact English title of "The Talk of the Simples
and Drugs and Medicinal Things of India" but there is one title
in English that is close. I Hope this helps! -- Jasmine at infoengine.com

***

Here's the one I found in English:

CALL NUMBER: RS178 .O8 1913
AUTHOR: Orta, Garcia de, 16th cent.
TITLE: Colloquies on the simples & drugs of India, by Garcia da Orta.
EDITION: New ed. (Lisbon, 1895) edited and annotated by the Conde
de Ficalho, tr. with an introduction and index by Sir Clements
Markham ...
PUBLISHED:  London, H. Sotheran and co., 1913.
OTHER NAME: Ficalho, Francisco Manuel de Melo, Conde de, 1837- 1903.
NOTE: "Two hundred and fifty copies only printed of which this
is no. 66." Translation of Colloquios dos simples e drogas e
cousas medicinaes da India.
NOTE: "Index of persons, chiefly authorities quoted, with titles
of their works": p. 487-494.
LCCN NUMBER: 16-20897

And here is the listing for the book is was translated from
(I think):

CALL NUMBER: RS178 .O6 1891
AUTHOR: Orta, Garcia de, 16th cent.
TITLE: Coloquios dos simples e drogas da India, por Garcia da
Orta. Edicao publicada por deliberacao da Academia Real das
Sciencias de Lisboa, dirigida e annotada pelo conde de Ficalho.
PUBLISHED:  Lisboa, Imprensa Nacional, 1891-95.
OTHER NAME: Ficalho, Francisco Manuel de Melo, Conde de, 1837- 1903, ed.
OTHER NAME: Academia das Ciencias de Lisboa.
LCCN NUMBER: agr20-1668

As I read the writeups (and I do *not* read Portuguese or Spanish)
there are two copies of Garcia's original works that were translated
in the 1500's that are in the rare book collection of the Library of
Congress. Their information is listed below:

CALL NUMBER: RS178 .O7 1593 <Rare Bk Coll>
AUTHOR: Orta, Garcia de, 16th cent.
PUBLISHED: Antverpiae, ex officina Plantiniana, apud vidaum, & I.
Moretum, 1593.
TITLE: Aromatvm, et simplicivm aliqvot medicamentorvm apvd Indos
nascentivm historia: primum quidem lusitanica linqua dialogikos
conscripta, a D. Gracia ab Horto, proregis Indiae medico: deinde
latino sermone in epitomen contracta & iconibus ad viuum expressis,
locupletioribusq annotatiunculis illustrata a Carolo Clvsio
Atrebate.
OTHER NAME: Costa, Christovam da, ca. 1540-1599.
OTHER NAME: Monardes, Nicolas, 1512 ca.-1588.
OTHER NAME:  L'Ecluse, Charles de, 1526-1609, tr.
LCCN NUMBER: 08-12523

CALL NUMBER: RS178 .O7 1574 <Rare Bk Coll>
AUTHOR: Orta, Garcia de, 16th cent.
TITLE: Aromatvm, et simplicivm aliqvot medicamentorvm apvd Indos
nascentivm historia: primum quidem lusitancia lingua per dialogos
conscripta, D. Garcia ab Horto, proregis Indiae medico, auctore.
Nunc vero latino sermone in epitomen contracta, & iconibus ad
viuum expressis, locupletioribusq3 annotatiunculis illustrata
a Carolo Clvsio atrebate.
OTHER NAME: L'Ecluse, Charles de, 1526-1609, tr.
LCCN NUMBER: 07-12399