HERB - question-looking ahead to spring

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 19 15:53:00 PDT 1998

 One thing you might do if you are in the Prairie states is to try to
reestalblish a Tall Grass Prairie or grasslands that are tradional for
lands around your area.  The County Extension agency is probably great for
that information.  Reestablishing grasslands is an excellent way of having
low maintenaince lanscaping that helps both the over all environment and
wildlife.  You could do a controlled burn and replant a wildflower meadow.
Thats actually an example of good husbandry.

Failing that try planting wild bushes and trees as Amra suggested.  Also a
good ground cover that grows well in Texas (central and South) is an plant
called Horse Herb or Gold and Green.  I've never seen it sold but it makes
a really good ground cover with very low maintenaince.  Two herbs that do
well as ground cover is Mugwort and Lemon Balm.

I would suggest you get a book and see what you have out in you land... you
might find alot worth keeping.

Hoping this helps

Clare