HERB - question-looking ahead to spring

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Sep 20 10:52:35 PDT 1998

 >Hi Clare,
>
>How do Mugwort and Lemon Balm do in New Mexico caliche hard-pan?  I
>tried starting native Blue Grama, but our rains are sooooo erratic, I
>can't get it going.
>
>Thanks,
>Prydwen

                     I would probably plant lemon balm in semi shade to
shade.  Although it grows okay in the sun.  It doesn't do well in the
summer.  I think if you cut it back when it gets straggley it will come
back.  i've honestly never had a problem with it at all
I had a friend who grew it in Phoenix....
	Mugwort, artemsias in general and especially wormwood would probably do
well...they all like poor gravelly soil... Mulch, i would think.  Also
yarrow, which is an introduced species that has now become a wildflower.

	It's hard to get grass established.  i tried with various fescues with
little or no luck.  I think the fescue all grew in the wrong places.....
One of the professors I work with does prairie management and I'll ask him
if knows anything or if he knows a source to help you out....

	My regional Landscape book suggests burro grass night be good.
Scleropogon brevifolius.  (not from memory)  It seems to like caliche soil..

some addresse in Texas that may give you leads

Lone Star Growers  7960 Cagnon Rd.Box 220, San Antonio, Texas 78227

Wildseed, Inc,  P.O. Box 308, Eagle Lake, Texas 77434  They have a very
nice catalog part of which has regional mixes.

Hope this helps

Clare