HERB - "Hortulus" - "Gourd" - Long post

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Mon Sep 21 09:07:13 PDT 1998

There is a gourd called a bushel gourd.  My parents gave me one, once, and
It truly is about the size of a bushel basket.  I tried planting seeds, but
my goats ate them up.  Now that the fence is fixed, they have really taken
off, and I do have small gourds, but I'm afraid that frost will kill them
before they reach full maturity.

BTW,  Loofah sponge is a gourd.  It is also edible, much as squash, when
young, so I've been told.  The goats ate all of those, also, and my new
ones have just started blooming.  The county fair I just attended had a
great display on gourd craft, and the presenter has promised to send me
seeds for some of the different type of gourds.

Melandra of the Woods

> I've been trying to track down a description of the medieval gourd for
> over a year and a half. I've seen zucchini used as a substituted, but
> since you can hardly dry out the insides of mature zucchini and use them
> as bushels [baskets], I knew that wasn't right!
> Thank you!
>
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus), mka Jennifer
Heise