HERB - "Hortulus" - "Lily"

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Sep 22 05:54:34 PDT 1998

Raisya,
>Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, but I lost use of the computer for a
>day and a half.  Here's the next one, and in case anyone's interested, the
>lily Strabo describes is supposed to be the Madonna lily (lilium candidum L.)

Good grief, don't apologize. I'm sure everyone here will back me up
when I say we're just darned excited everytime you do post one of
these poems. We're not going to trounce you if you don't. :)

Now if Strabo really is describing the Madonna lily, it's a big
coinkydink because I was just reading about that lily. I was looking
up plants that treated burns and scaldings and supposedly, this lily
could be used in an ointment to treat the pain of burns and do so
without leaving a scar. Also, the flowers were used in combination with
arnica in alcohol as a linament of sorts to treat bruises. The arnica
I've obviously seen before, but the lily, no.

Not that I recommend people going and doing this themselves,
however. I've not even begun to research the major constituents of
the plant.

jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
-- Hroswith of Gandersheim