HERB - preparing for winter

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:15:43 PDT 1998

>>ordinary houses with potted plants on the window sill or balcony to
the
>>pictures of the 14th century TACUINUM SANITATIS IN MEDICINA which
shows plants
>>in pots being grown for medicinal use.  I don't know if it was the
preference
>>to keep plants in pots, but it was undeniably done.
>
>I should really get this book then. I've been thinking about it,
>but never really picked it up. I suppose my b-day is coming up
>soon so maybe my DH will pick it up for me if I leave big hints
>in places where he could find it.
>
>I checked in my archives and in a few places online (like Stefan's
>Floreligium files) but none with a review of TACUINUM SANITATIS.
>Has anyone got one? Amazon, borders, and barnes&noble don't have
>any descriptions, just notices that it is out of stock. Amazon
>had it prior to War, but now they don't seem to have it in stock.
>Phooey.

I have a copy - picked it up about a month ago at a local bookstore.
(Bookpeople) What would you like to know? It's got some really great
illuminations explaining the effects of flowers, herbs, food, and a
couple of other things on human health. (the copy I have even has an
illumination of "coitus"!) It gives the "nature", "usefulness",
"dangers", and "neutralization of the dangers" of each item.

In case you're curious, the publisher's address is on the back. It's
George Braziller, Inc, 171 Madison Avenue, New York NY 10016. The isbn
is: 0-8076-1277-4

Katerine Rowley
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra
mka