HERB - about Dianthus

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Apr 1 12:20:38 PST 1999

RAISYA at aol.com wrote:

> Agnes,
>
> I was the one asking about the pinks, thanks!  That's exactly the info I was
> trying to sort out.
>
> >if the first mention of carnations is 1300, what plant did William I like?
>
> I thought carnations were bred from pinks, like tea roses from earlier roses?
>
> Raisya

Unto Raisya, pat. pend.! (congratulations!)

   The way I read it, _D. caryophyllus_ was from southern Europe, brought back
to the North later, e.g. by the aforementioned Crusaders.  So William might have
liked (oh, mais oui!) Sweet Williams.
    I'm classifying Normandy with the North and assuming he didn't spend much
time in Aquitaine or Italy, where he would have seen _D. caryophyllus_ the clove
pink, which, as you said, is the  plant from which our carnations were bred.
Maybe I underrate his travels or the quality of his father's (wife's?) garden.

Cheers, Agnes
kkeeler1 at unl.edu