HERB - catnip vs catmint

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Apr 15 16:49:03 PDT 1999

>What is the difference between catnip and catmint??  What can they be used
>for?

I forgot to add this (which I wrote back when I was doing Christmas
presents and telling the list about them):

Catnip leaves -- this herb is extremely old. An old Middle English
herbal known as the "Agnus Castus" recommends catnip for "evils that
a man has about the throat." This holds with common day use of catnip
as a tea to sooth coughing and congestion. In more modern medicine,
catnip is known to be a mild sedative due to its volatile oil,
cis-trans-nepetalactone. This ingredient is one of the main sedatives
in the Valerian plant as well. Catnip often calms mild stomach
upset. Catnip is used in this mix because of its efficacy in treating
congestion of the sinus passages that comes with allergies.

Jasmine