HERB - Woad questions

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Wed Apr 28 08:53:21 PDT 1999

Greetings to the Good Gentles of this Fine Herbaceous List From Baroness
Leonora!

I am now the proud mother of about 18 little baby woad plants!  I have them
started under the grow lights.  I plan to put them out in a couple of weeks
- our last frost date is May 15.  I am also go to direct seed some.

Has anyone else grown woad?   Has anyone processed the leaves into the
pigment?   I sure could use some voices of experience!  I do know not to
let them go to seed without control as I understand it is considered a
noxious weed in some states.  I also know that a dyer friend of mine had it
die in her herb bed, so I figure it can't be too pernicious in our area!

BTW, we have used the woad from the wonderful pigment lady in the Gypsy
caravan at Pennsic for years.  We have suffered or experienced none of the
supposed effects of woad.  Has anyone else personally used woad for face
and body painting?

Warm spring rains and gentle breezes to you all,

Baroness Leonora
Master Healer to the Crown of the Outlands

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.