HERB - Nightshades

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Apr 29 06:31:15 PDT 1999

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Warren & Meredith Harmon wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm looking in an encyclopedia of herbs and spices, and is it my
> imagination, or does arching borage look *exactly* like nightshade?  Am I
> mistaken?

If by arching borage you mean the stuff with the blue flowers and the
hairy leaves, NO! *twitch* Nightshade looks like morning glory, with
smooth, narrow heart shaped leaves, and a twining habit. Its flowers are
blue with a yellow center and look a bit like small columbines.
Borage has hairy, broad leaves and stems (3" by 8") and all-blue flowers;
it might be mistaken for small comfrey or lamb's ears, maybe...

Jadwiga
(who was trained by her mother that removing nightshade plants is a
justifiable reason for trespassing-- my brother almost died from eating
nightshade berries at the age of 4.)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"