HERB - gardens, mowers, and tomatos

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Apr 29 08:29:09 PDT 1999

Jasmine,

For your climate, I'd highly recommend getting a catalog from Johnny's
Selected Seeds in Maine (1 Foss Hill Road, RR 1 Box 2580, Albion, Maine
04910-9731).

I don't think there's any evidence of exactly which varieties the Spanish
brought back with them, but Johnny's carries one called Matt's Wild Cherry
which is a wild tomato.   They also have red and yellow currant tomatoes,
which are tiny and very close to the wild too.  Any of these should have been
available to the Spanish.  For something closer to was being cultivated, look
at the older heirlooms, and compare with the drawing in Gerard's.  To me,
they look like a "slicer" rather than a "paste", flattened and medium to
small in size.  I think Brandywine would be reasonably close in shape, at
least.

Hope this helps!

Raisya