HERB - gardens, mowers, and tomatos

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Apr 29 10:31:58 PDT 1999

Hertha asked:

>I take it you are talking about an above ground pool?  I would think
>sandy loam (after the tilling) would not be a bad thing.  But If you have
>a lot of clay in your soil beware of the concret effect of just mixing
>the sand in.  In clay soils you have to add a lot of organic material to
>get a decent texture and lighten them up.

Yes, it's an above-ground pool. Lovely to look at, but takes up the
vast majority of the back yard. I'll be happy to see it go away.

You know, I have NO idea what's under the grass. Could be crud, could
be clay, could be fantastic soil, for all I know. Your hints about mixing
the sand in are good ones. I fully suspect it's something not quite what
I want and that I'll have to add quite a bit of organic matter. Hmmm...
I wonder if I can convince a friend to give up her extensive compost
pile for the cause? :)

Do we have any existing documents on soil during our time periods or
are we limited to what would be covered in something like Markham's
first half of Country Contentments? Has anyone looked into period
examinations of farming?

>ps.  Congratulations!

Thanks!

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm