HERB - More - Woad questions and Thank You!

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Thu Apr 29 21:50:41 PDT 1999

At 12:08 PM 4/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Woad does yield the best dye in its first year of growth.  Now if you
>collect this year's seeds and replant them, you should have a vast
>quantity of first year woad to collect next spring.
>Hertha

Okay, from all the wonderful resources mentioned - that woad page was very
cool! - I understand it is a biannual.  The first year is a rosette of
leaves and the second year is flower and seeds.

So, if the best dye is the first year - this means that I just pick the
leaves this year?  Does it still come back and flower and seed next year if
I do?  Are the leaves best in the spring or fall or should I just keep
picking them all summer?

Has anyone messed around with the flower dye?  It looks very yellow!

It is supposed to be a noxious weed in CO, but I haven't ever seen it here
in the foothills.  I kept looking for it, hoping to wildcraft it, but no
such luck.

Thanks so much all who responded!  I know a whole lot more than I did!
What a great list this is!

Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.