HERB - You asked for it! Leonora's Top 5 Herb Books

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Thu Apr 29 22:10:30 PDT 1999

At 12:57 AM 4/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I'd be interested in knowing what your top 5 books are...

hmmm, you *would* put me on the spot ;-)   I think that my 5 favorite books
are chosen with an eye to "if you had to choose 5 books that had the best
information to survive with" type criterea.

1.   for general herbal info: Rodale's "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs."
 Pretty conservative about medicinal uses but good cultivation info, some
history of use, and good suggestions on how to use herbs.
2.  for good and easy to use medicinal info: Penelope Ody's "The Complete
Medicinal Herbal."  Good pictures, good info, well organized.  I don't like
a lot of the way she suggests to process herbs like into salves and such.
3.  because most of my clients are women and it's a really beautiful book
Anne McIntyre's "The Complete Woman's Herbal".  It is a great book to read,
but you really have to use the index to find the specific herbs or
complaint because she organizes the book according to the stages of a
woman's life.  She has a great section in the back about herbal first aid,
bath and body care, and other cool how to use herb info.
4.  one of my favorite books of different recipes of herbal bath and body
care is "Natural Beauty at Home" by Janice Cox.
5.  the "Earth to Herbalist" book for it's terrific pictures and info on
wildcrafting and tincturing.

but then, on a dessert island I'd also *have* to take the Eyewitness
"Herbs" book because it has a picture and discription of absolutely every
plant that could even remotely be considered an herb.  I sometimes just
take it out and look at the pictures of things that I have been taking for
years and have no idea what it looks like or where it comes from.

Wow, this was really fun!  I dug around in the library and made some stacks
of books.  I realized I have a couple of books in there which I either
haven't read or haven't finished reading!  How cool!    Thanks for the
oportunity!

Baroness Leonora

P.S.  Anybody else?  What are your 5 favorite herb books?  I'd love to
know!  Plus it is really fun on a rainy day to root around in your library!

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.