HERB - Top 5 Herb Books

aleed aleed at dnaco.net
Fri Apr 30 07:43:07 PDT 1999

Hmm...modern herbal-wise, my favorite all-purpose book is "The Complete
Herbal" (can't remember the author at present).  It has photographs of
many medicinal & culinary herbs, plus pictures of sample garden design,
instructions on makings salves, creams, vinegars etc., and some really
great recipies.

The New Age Herbal, despite its name, is the best source I've found for
listing the specific properties of varied medicinal herbs, down to the
chemical constituents and suggested dosages.

Landscaping with Herbs doesn't have much on herbal medicine or culinary
use, but lists /tons/ of herbs (and herbal shrubs and trees) by size,
foliage and flower color, annual or perennial, and preferred soil ph and
sun.  For creating beautiful herbal garden arrangements, this one makes it
much easier.

Period-wise,  The Medieval Garden is a wonderful book (for gardening in
general, not just herbs), and the one I seem to reference most often.
Gerard's & Culpeper's Herbals are a close second, and my favorite
ooo-look-at-that books are the Tacunium Sanitatis & The Illustrated
Herbal, which shows color pictures of herbals from Roman times to the
1800s.

Hmm...more than 5, isn't it.  Well, if I was on a desert island (with good
soil and a large crate of seeds), these are the books I'd want.

My favorite online site is the Time-Life Gardener's Encyclopedia--
http://www.vg.com/cgi-bin/v2/gemag/PID=69909254832283079927127,27127&s=4393

Please keep this thread going--my Books-to-buy list has tripled in the
past few days!

Thanks,

Drea