HERB - Stone containers

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Aug 5 12:03:19 PDT 1999

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Stephanie Rudin wrote:
> Hello!
> Did any further information ever come through on these stores?  AFAIK they don't
> exist in Oklahoma so if they have a catalog or an on-line presence I would like
> to know about it.  Thanks!!!!!
> Stephanie

http://www.villages.ca/
Says there is one at:
Ten Thousand Villages *
 121 N State Street
 Weatherford, OK 73096
 (405) 772-7531

They also have a 'Festival' concept, in which local groups sponsor a
'bazaar' someplace and the Ten Thousand Villages stuff is sold there; it's
not a fund-raiser or anything (the money, less 10%, goes back to the
Villages organization in order to keep it going) but one wonders whether a
local SCA group might be interested in doing something like that  at an
event.

I just checked out the web site, and my first guess was right, they are a
project of the Mennonite Central Committee, and they were formerly called
SELFHELP crafts. This is, in my opinion, one of the cooler forms of 'trade
not aid' in the world-- they buy from the local artisans or artisan
groups at fair prices, and sell them at prices that reflect cost not
profit. I've been shopping at SELFHELP stores for years (in Lancaster
County) and had never noticed they changed the name!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)