HERB - Spider/wasp repellents?

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Mon Aug 9 11:40:24 PDT 1999

A few tips that may or may not help....

1) DO NOT have any bananas on site!!!  banana oil is a wasp / bee
distress call, so the more bananas you have, the more stinging critters
will show up to find out what's hurting their friends.

2) Because of the drought, you will have insect problems.  Ants
especially, also stinging critters, will show up for any drop of moisture
they can find.

3) Uncooked grits work wonders against ants (sprinkle on ground, let ants
carry away, wait till the ants explode).  Dried cucumber peel also is
good, and not as violent.

4) Ever since I sprinkled lavender around, my speeders ran for the hills.
 Phew!  YMMV, though, but I recommend it.  At Pennsic, outside, a few
drops of oil (4 to 7) into the softened wax of an already-burning candle
should assist.  (Don't drop the oil near the wick!)

5) Pennyroyal should help as well.  Sprinkle dried stuff all over the
area, and if you can snag some pennyroyal soap, that should help.  Before
the drought got a good grip, we had a flea problem - I started using
pennyroyal soap, and they vanished literally overnight.  Again, YMMV.

6) Wasp traps.  They may not be period, but if your people are allergic,
I'd take safety over periodicity.

Have fun at Pennsic!!
-Caro