HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #346

MTR/AAHR wolffe at onslowonline.net
Tue Aug 10 16:08:16 PDT 1999

> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:30:02 -0400
> From: Warren & Meredith Harmon <corwynsca at juno.com>
> Subject: HERB - What's Up With all the Nightshade?
>
> Help!
>
> Twice in one week now, I have identified, mentioned to the owner, had the
> owner react with surprise, had the owner panic, gone out to the car to
> get my gloves, removed, and threw out (after much stress) nightshade
> plants from their yards.  Is it the drought that's bringing them out?
> It's driving me crazy!!!
>
> Any thoughts on how to scrub down after my bare arms brushed the plant?
> Which parts are the most dangerous?  (We had a scare when one toddler
> licked a berry - that's what caused me to find the second plant.)  Any
> ideas on how to deal with nightshade poisoning, besides calling Poison
> Control?  Any other thoughts on the plant itself???
>
> Oh - we're talking Woody Nightshade, not the other variety that slips my
> mind.
>
> Boy, does that plant STINK when it's bruised!!!!!
> - -Caro (please, am I done now with all the Nightshade???  I already have
> last name, I don't want to be known as Shade-bane!!!)

The sap of the plant can cause dermatitis, in otherwaords, a rash. Some
people who handle the berries xan develop acne like eruptions on the face,
and have problems seeing.
Belladonna poisoning manifests itseldf within 15 minutes of ingestion as
dryness of mouth, burning throat, dilated pupils, intense thirst, double
vision, giddiness, burning in the stomach, nausea, hallucinations, rambling
talk, and a feeble rapid pulse
The entire plant is poisonous in this case, it contains a number of toxic
alkaloids, such as solanaceous alkaloids, hyosycamine, ATROPINE,and
hyosicine
LARGE DOSES WILL PARALYZE. It reacts through the central nervous system,
thats why.

As for scrubbing, I would think an antibacterial sop would work, just besire
not to hadle foodstuffs or things that will come in contact with foodstuffs
before washing.

-Wolf