HERB - Re:Sumac, was Herb-sic

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Sun Aug 15 19:35:15 PDT 1999

Ted Kubricht wrote:

> Hi Katherine,
>
> As far as my resources indicate, poison sumac only grows in swampy, boggy
> areas from along the Gulf Coast through the Appalachians to Canada,
> including the damp Northern states.   There is no mention of any in CA
> although I suppose someone may have transplanted some to a similar type
> habitat there.   >

I sincerely doubt it.  The CA plant I've been shunning for the past
10yrs. is perfectly harmless.  I've even *known* it's harmless.  It's
just one of those automatic things -- rather like pulling away from a
hot stove or a nettle-plant.  The resemblence isn't even that strong,
but it was enough when I first got here, and it *doesn't* seek out
moisture like the stuff I'm used to.  Seems like they always grew up
around prime fishing spots...Bother!

>Poison sumac does not have red berries, rather greenish
> white or grayish ones.   The only parts of the many varieties of sumac
> considered useful for food are the red berries, used for lemonade-like teas.
>
> All varieties except poison sumac are listed as having edible berries, there
> is no mention of poisonous properties with these.   Poison sumac sap has
> been used as a fine varnish, as has that of several of the other types of
> sumac.

Thank you for the info.  The article I read was 9 years ago...I remember
it made the boots very shiny and was quite valued....

Thank you also for clarifying the difference in identifying the "good"
from the "bad".  In general, or with lack of knowlege, I prefer to err
on the side of caution.  But it seems they are rather easy to tell apart
once the berries are ripe.  Maybe if I go back East again someday, I'll
do something that would make my grandmother roll over in her grave
(which I'm sure I've caused her to do anyway! :->)

--Katherine Blackthorne

<Snip>