HERB - Fw: [SD] Fwd: Near and Far Eastern Aromas

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Aug 24 09:14:44 PDT 1999

This comes from a lady in our group who is very new, and she and her
husband have started a Middle Eastern Musical Group called Peach Curry.
They were at Pennsic camping with us, and they had a blast.  I don't know
if she got any answers to this question up there, but I thought I would
forward it along here anyway.
Christianna

Forwarded by request:

Last Thursday night at Peach Curry's band practice in Roswell, some new
individuals of Indian and Muslim Arabic backgrounds came to share a few
tunes with us.  Everyone was immediately aware that someone new and
exotic had entered the room mainly because you were hit with these exotic
scents well before you laid eyes on them.

The thing that struck me most is how the scented oils they used added an
extra element to their mundane personas.  It added an extra layer of
realism.

Does anyone know how these oils would have been used in period and if
they were specific only to India?  Would the Turks, Egyptians, or people
of Muslim Spain have used such a thing?  Are any oils definitely in
period
over others?

If I chose to adapt such a practice, what sort of considerations would I
need to make for the populace?  For example, I probably would hold off
on "reoiling" just before feast to not interfere with the aromas the
feastocrat had worked so hard to prepare.

Salaam,
Chandani
mka Ginger Loverde (gloverde at lanier.com)