HERB - Re: Culpepper and beginning period books

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Aug 24 12:35:34 PDT 1999

 I really and truly couldn't just pick one period reference and
> say "hey, this is the best beginner's book there is." I'm fairly
> confident one single book doesn't exist. I'd love to be proven wrong.
>
> Jasmine
> Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com

	Why be proven wrong?  There is much value in being able to cross-check
references.  Perhaps one compendium of every valuable source would make
telling beginners where to start easier, but I always advise looking in
several sources, and making sure you have at least 2-3 that agree on
something before trying an unknown out.   This is valuable for accuracy,
true, but it is also useful to be able to get different uses for
different contexts.  As you say, there is no one perfect source, largely
because, in my opinion, there is no one perfect situation.  People are
different, situations vary, diet, habitat, environment, stress, genetics,
and phases of the moon can all have bearing on a condition.  I usually
tell people to get at least a couple of books, and find something that
makes sense to them, and is a remedy that they will actually try and
carry through on.  Getting people to take something long-term is tough,
and entails a change in daily habits.  (Had that discussion yesterday
with an old friend of my family's regarding migraines.  I use feverfew,
take it every morning.  She said she had tried it, and it didn't work.  I
told her it needed to be taken over a long period, and wasn't really
effective until at least a couple of months.  That was a revelation to
her, because she is so used to taking a pill that fixes the problem right
now. She is taking Caffergot, which is a prescription form of caffeine
and ergot, from whence we get LSD, which is traditionally used to treat
migraines, which was also a revelation to her ;)
	Well, I've really rambled here, it's nice to be back, I had a great time
at the War, and feel refreshed.
	Christianna