HERB - Re: Clove Oil

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Aug 26 07:25:33 PDT 1999

>Is it really a topical anesthetic? Hmmm...(thinks about trying it on
>her next mosquito bite) Any other "nasty habits" I should know about
>before I start applying it to myself?

Yep, it really is. It's a very common mouth pain reliever.
Take a whole clove and bite into it and see what happens.

As for what else you should know about it, diluted with
a carrier oil like canola or vegetable oil of some kind,
the effects are drastically reduced. It is a powerful
antiseptic, but in terms of its anesthetic qualities,
many people would call it "feeble" (and indeed this is
the very word that Grieve uses in her herbal). In my
experience, clove oil works best on the very thinnest
of skins, used topically. I've not had much success with
it on bug bites, but in the mouth for a toothache, it has
worked quite well. I've also use it on small scrapes and
cuts when lavender or tea tree oil was unavailable to
me. Would I slather my body with it? Probably not.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com