HERB - Sap value of deer fat

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Fri Dec 10 20:56:16 PST 1999

At 10:23 AM 12/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I know this is really a tangential subject to herbs, but because
>we've talked about herbs in the context of historical soap making,
>I thought I'd pop this question out to the list anyway...Has anyone
>worked with deer tallow before in soap making? Better still, has
>anyone made deer tallow? I've worked with people making beef
>tallow before (a vile process) and now that I have some venison
>fat from the deer we took during early rifle season, I thought
>I'd ask if anyone had worked with it before. I'm debating whether
>or not to actually just go ahead and make the tallow, or wait until
>spring and actually do something soap-wise for an A&S project
>(like I don't already have enough to work on!). What would really
>help me out is if anyone had the saponification value for deer fat.

saponification value for deer fat:
Tallow, deer .1379 (NaOH)   .1930  (KOH)

this is from:
http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/soapsap.html

>I can't seem to find it any of my books...though I am missing one
>key book somewhere and I suspect it's in that...

Of the "exotic" amimal fats, I have only used goose fat and it was a
wonderful soap.  Made from the goose fat collected from a large feast and
given to the B&B for largess.  Great fun!  I colored it with sandlewood and
scented it with patchoui.  It was wonderful.

Good luck and keep us informed

Baroness Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.