HERB - Sap value of deer fat

Ann Lee ealee at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Mon Dec 13 09:29:36 PST 1999

I also find this subject on-topic and of interest, and would like to add a few questions of my own.

Up till now, i have only used vegetable oils in making soap (palm, olive, cocoanut, almond) and would like some personal insight for people using animal fats.  i.e. is tallow (beef) better/worse than lard (pork),  does combining them work, or just stick to one type of animal per batch?  advantages/disadvantages of using them compared to each other. (I've read books, but the knowledge seems sometimes too "general")

Also, what type of herbs do you like to use in soaps?   So far, i have just used lavender, calendula, mugwort.    How finely should you grind oatmeal to use it?  Same question for cinnamon.

Also, has anyone ever added beeswax to their soap, and what problems should I look out for?

Any knowledge/help greatly appreciated.

Richenda