HERB - Re: Sore muscles (and some comfrey)

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon Feb 1 06:50:27 PST 1999

Baroness Leonora wrote:

>For sore muscles I would infuse arnica, thyme, rosemary in olive oil.  I
>would then rub this in my muscles and pour some of the oil in a hot bath
>and have a delicious soak.

For sore muscles in general, I use an infused oil and a willing
husband. :) The oil is infused with ground juniper berries and
arnica flowers. Grind berries, add all to oil, heat on lowest
setting for 15-20 minutes (until small bubbles form at edges).
Remove from heat and cool. Repeat 2 more times. Use as a massage
oil. I can look up the amounts if you want. I don't have the recipe
in front of me.

And here's a little secret I learned....just the straight juniper
infused oil is wonderful for that time of the month when a woman's
breasts are very tender and sore. This brings *me* near immediate
relief when I use it. YMMV, but it's worth a try if you've suffered
til now.

>Have these studies of comfey toxicity mentioned whether it was the leaf or
>the root which was being studied?  Or did I miss that in a soap-making
>induced semi-coma :-)

You missed part of it. :) The studies covered both and I believe
I only reported the root studies. Toxicity at low, daily doses was
found when rats consumed both roots and leaves. Anecdotal studies
(so take them with a grain of salt) that I have read nearly always
report on the leaf consumption.

jasmine, jasmine at infoengine.com