HERB - Re: Sore muscles (and some comfrey)

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 06:55:47 PST 1999

>And so many Dutch drinking gin....(I'm Dutch, parents fresh off the
>boat. Love gin, but only mixed. Stuff is vile straight up.)

Heh. When I found out about juniper I had a sudden flashback to the ONLY
time I ever drank gin and how exceedingly sick I was the next day.
Couldn't understand why at the time - the same amount of whisky barely
made me tipsy. :)

>Perhaps your herbalist professional was refering this fact to
>you because you have Diabetes insipidus, which is characterized
>by the sheer amount of urine produced by the body regardless
>of the fluid intake (or lack thereof)? That would be my rather
>uneducated guess as to the caution your herbalist pro gave you.

Actually, I have Diabetes Mellitus. And the book "Herb Contraindications
and Drug Interactions" also warns against using juniper due to it's
irritating effect on the kidneys. That's why I asked her if it would be
acceptable in a topical application. (My assumption was that the book
was referring to by mouth.)

>If anyone has more up-to-date scientific information, that would
>be fantastic. But for now, once a month topically is most
>certainly less likely to kill me than the sheer pain of walking
>and bouncing the wrong way.

True. And of course, some things make people sick while not bothering
others. That's why there are so many anti-inflammatories out there - I
was taking one for tendonitis this summer that really bothered me while
my mother was taking the exact same drug in the exact same amount for
osteoarthritis and had no problems at all with it. One person's trash is
another's treasure. :)

Katerine Rowley