HERB - [TY] Period contraceptions

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Feb 10 20:07:32 PST 1999

The Tavern Yard (Meridies' Chat List) has been discussing Period
Contraceptives, and I thought you folks here on this list might be
interested in this posting.
Christianna

From: BAYSWORD at aol.com
To: <mermayde at juno.com>
Subject: [TY] Period contraceptions
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:37:11 EST

Get thee to the Library and pick up the March/April 1994 issue of
Archaeology.
The issue is called "Birth Control in the Ancient World".  It has a very
interesting article on Silphium.  An herbal birth control that was so
valuable
that silver coins depicted it.  Unfortunately Silphium was wiped out from
over
harvest by our time of study.

The magazine also has information on Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot),
Pennyroyal, and other herbs.  There is an interesting article on The
Ethics of
Birth Control in the Ancient World. Seems the ethical dilemma of today is
nothing new.

On another note the IUD has been long been used in the form of small
stones by
camel drivers.  They cause enough of an irritant to prevent conception
while
the animals are on caravans were a pregnancy would be inconvenient.

Reynard du Gournay
Salt Keep
Meridies
Baysword at aol.com
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Saltkeep/index.html">
http://members.aol.com/Saltkeep/index.html</A>
Drink and be merry, for our time is short, and death lasts forever.
--Amphis Fragment 330 B.C.