HERB - SWallis614@aol.com: [TY] Period contraceptions/other concoctions

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Feb 11 06:57:43 PST 1999

Well, this discussion is still going on, and it gets more interesting...
Christianna
--------- Begin forwarded message ---------
> In a message dated 2/11/99 6:57:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cwoulfe at life.edu writes:
> >  And let's not forget how the owner of said camel determined >whether
or not she was pregnant. He took a sample to a 'Camel >Taster'? Why?
Because a pregnant camel's urine is very high in >glucose. Makes you
wonder what the guy used as a chaser!

> >  Caoillainn De Bhulbh Veterinariansdottir
> >

> OVERSHARING!!  that's just a little more information than i needed to
know...

> Cassandra M :)>>

Camel urine was also used to wash your hair and I think in Italy, some
kind of urine was used to lighten or beach hair.  What a wonder process,
I'm sure.
Edwina

Or who thought to check in the first place?  What happened, they were
sitting around the fire when Achmed happen to mention that his camels
urine tasted differant now that she was pregnant?  Or who would volunteer
for the job, or what sort of "apprenticeship" was involved. (yuck!)

Though it does make one wonder if this is the source for the phrase "I'd
walk a mile for a camel"?

Padraig

Good question.  Medieval >human< medicine involved urine-tasting.  It was
known that diabetes, for instance, made the urine sweet.  So perhaps some
camel-owner knew this, and thought to taste his camel's urine ....

THL Julia of the Flowers