HERB - Antique Roses

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Mon Feb 22 22:19:58 PST 1999

While we're on a similar subject:

>There is a company (southern Seed Exchange, I think) that carry
>dianthus
>varieties they can document from the 17th Century.  I was amazed.

I've been looking for two catalogs for awhile now, and they seem to have
vanished.  One is for seeds / seedlings taken from famous trees (i.e.,
seeds from the last tree standing at the Alamo, or the biggest elm left,
that sort of thing), and one that deals in antique roses.  A lovely lady
in Texas noticed that the roses left to wild in the states were actually
medieval roses, and began to "rose rustle" to preserve them - it seems
that Europe wiped them out when they became unfashionable.  When they
identify them using medieval horticulture books, they put them up for
sale.  I have the article the Smithsonain did years ago, but it doesn't
mention an address.  I'd love to join, since I have a few roses myself to
identify (my great-x granny brought five species over!!!).  Any ideas?

-Caro (we get internet capable in two months and counting!!!!!)